Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Lucky Tank Top


Pattern: Lucky Tank Top
Designer: Wendy D. Johnson in Wendy Knits
Yarn: Filtes King Stampato Color Baby #800 (100% merino), 4+ skeins
Needles: US3, Inox 10" straight
Began: 6/8/06, Finished: late July, 2006

Pattern notes and lessons learned: Nice easy pattern, could easily be done by an advanced beginner. The lace border at the bottom is knitted first, then the body stitches are picked up along the long edge. There are two errors in the pattern book, they are corrected on Wendy's website. If I were to do this pattern again I would: (1) make it longer. The 19" length comes just below my belly button, skimming the top edge of regular waist shorts or pants. I am too self-conscious to wear this with lower-cut pants. Memo to self: I like my tanks at least 21" long. (2) change the shoulder shaping and bindoff. This uses the standard "stair step" shoulder bindoff, then the two edges (front and back) are seamed together. I have heard there is a short-row method for shoulders that results in a smoother edge, and then I think I might put the stitches on holders and do either a three-needle bindoff or even Kitchener. The tank is quite lightweight and I don't like my bulky seams. (3) lower the neckline. Would prefer a deeper scoop. (4) Color. I envisioned myself wearing this with golden tan arms. I forgot that I work in an office and my arms are rarely tan, and even then, it's more of a farmer tan. Not a great color choice for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

It would look great worn as a camisole under a jacket though. Plus you can button up the jacket to hide the length that you aren't happy with. Believe me. I've been thinking the same thing with some of the stuff I've made. I think it came out great though! Certainly must have taken lots of patience to knit a tank on Size 3s! Wow!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You're too hard on yourself. Turtlegirl's right - it would work great as a camisole. And never underestimate the power of a little self-tanner.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home