Thursday, September 14, 2006

While searching for yarn, I killed some houseplants

Don't you just love the randomness of Google searches? Bina mentioned in a post two great non-pilling yarns she likes for kids-wear, one of them being Easy Care 8. I hadn't heard of this one before, so I googled it. One of the hits on the top page is 8 easy care plants for your dormroom. Of the eight plants listed there, I currently have 5. They are: English Ivy (hedera helix): surviving, but not thriving; Pothos (Epipremnum aureum): growing enthusiastically on the side of my bathtub; Jade (crassula arborescens): getting a little leggy in the foyer; rubber tree (Ficus elastica decora): nothing can kill this plant; and Mother-in-law's tongue (sanservieria trifasciata): it's doubled in size since I bought it and has taken over two pots. The other three are: spider plant (died in my office), cactus (nope, I couldn't keep this alive), and African Violet (never tried this one).

I don't live in a dorm anymore, but my plant-caring instincts haven't improved much since college, so I try to stick to the no-brainers. Some other houseplants I've had great luck with are: Schifflera (umbrella plant), philodendron, bamboo, and assorted bromeliads. The orchids were a disaster. I should just stick to visiting them at the botanical gardens.

Crack in a bag at Target.

I bought a little bag of Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Squares at lunchtime today. Oh.My.Goodness these are good. No comparison at all to the Hershey's bars in the vending machine. My bag came with a Sweepstakes gamepiece inside. First prize: A trip to the Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival in San Francisco. Second prize: A day of Chocolate Spa treatments (?). Third prize: another bag of chocolate. I did not win any of these prizes. The consolation prize is a coupon for $1 off another two bags of chocolate. With the coupons in these two bags, I can get another 4 bags, and then another 8 bags, and then 16, 32, 64..... until I have spent my daughter's college fund and am laying face-down in the living room in a pool of dark, melted, mind-fogging chocolate.

You know where to find me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home