Sunday, November 05, 2006

You say it's your birthday...

Well it's my birthday too, yeah! Happy Birthday to me! My birthday is Monday, November 6th. And I'm turning, umm, 29. Yeah, 29. That's it, honest! Would I lie to you? In honor of my birthday, it can be your birthday too - just leave me a birthday greeting in my comments before the end of November 6th, and I will pick one lucky reader at random to receive a gift certificate from either Knitpicks.com or KPixie.com - winner's choice. If you happen to live in a country that neither company ships to, I'll send you something of equal value myself.

I have completed my first (half)week at my new job and it looks like it will be a good place to work - much more to do than my old job. Pluses and minuses there, the biggest minus being I dare not post blogs or hang out in Knittyboard during working hours. I will try to update my blog at least weekly from home though, probably mostly on the weekends.

This past week was the great candy holiday of Halloween. Before you can go beg the neighbors for candy however, you have to put a jack 'o lantern on the doorstep to let them know your house is fair game too:


Step 1: gut the pumpkin. Better yet, enlist your child to gut the pumpkin. It's a rite of passage no child should miss, and it saves you from getting pumpkin ook under your nails.

Step 2: carve the pumpkin. There are over 70 attachments in the Dremel 400 XPR kit, and not one of them is labeled "pumpkin carving attachment". That should have been a clue. After severely gouging the top of the pumpkin at several thousand RPM, we put down the power tools and picked up the paring knife. Simpler, slower, and better fine control.

Audrey cleaned up in the candy department. I've gained 5 pounds this week.

Knitting

This week I finished one (1) arm of Audrey's sweater. I wanted to make it a set-in sleeve, knitted shoulder down. I found directions similar to what I wanted in Elizabeth Zimmermann's "Knitting Without Tears" - the Kangaroo Pouch sweater. I seamed up the sides, which had been knit flat, and picked up the stitches around the armhole. A few short rows later, and I had a nice shoulder on the sleeve! The hard part was not the short rows actually, it was integrating the short rows with the pattern, a combination of moss stitch and baby cable.


Here's Mr. Bear modeling the sweater. His arms are much shorter than Audrey's (although his head is much bigger - thus, I did not try to cram him through the neckhole.)

Later all! Happy Birthday to you!

20 Comments:

Blogger fibersnob said...

Happy Birthday Momma, the sweater looks fantastic!

8:54 PM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Happy Birthday to you! Hope it is a great day.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Margot said...

Hippo Birdie two ewe! :-)

Hope it's a fun day.

9:02 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

Happy Birthday! You share a birthday with my father :)

9:19 PM  
Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

Happy Birthday - 29 years old seems so long ago to me...

9:57 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

May you have much joy and happiness on your Birthday! (And may you get some nice knitting related goodies...)

11:38 PM  
Blogger Triona said...

Happy Birthday (officially- at least where I am!).

My brother turns 18 today too! I just finished icing his carrot cake.

Hope you have a wonderful day!

12:42 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Happy birthday! Your little one is so cute gutting that pumpkin.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Doris said...

Happy happy birthday! Congrats on the new job!

1:58 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Happy Birthday!
Your little girl is such a cutie, I'm sure that sweater will look so adorable on her.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Happy Birthday to the greatest woman who shares my birthday!!! I hope your birthday is as great as mine. My boss gave me the day off today!! I think I might go to the beach. Oh and you can have all of my leftover Halloween candy. I will hand deliver it. I need to stop eating it!!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

Sending you virtual cake and ice cream!

And a virtual maid to clean it up.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Um, yeah so I couldn't think of anything clever to say to stand out from the crowd so I'll just say Happy Birthday!!!!!

Cool pumpkins. (I love dark pumpkin pictures!)

9:28 AM  
Blogger Cindiluhu (Freezebabee) said...

Hippo birdie to ewe!

9:40 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

Happy Birthday! 29 is a great age. i plan to embrace 29 for at least ten years once i make it there.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Happy Birthday! Mine's tomorrow (birthday contest on MY blog...go visit!).

10:01 AM  
Blogger chemgrrl said...

Happy Birthday! Wahoo! Hooray!

Glad to know your new job's going well, but we miss you on the boards. :(

12:53 PM  
Blogger Bufanditas said...

Happy, Happy Birthday to YOU!!!! Have yourself a wonderful day. :)

2:13 PM  
Blogger Tawana said...

Happy Birthday to you! Hope you had a great day!

Tawana

http://carmelnap.typepad.com/rooted_in_reality/

9:36 PM  
Blogger Melly said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home