Thursday, October 12, 2006

I made yarn!

Despite my previous assertation that I wasn't going to bother plying my first lumpy singles, I decided to in the end. I made the poor woman's lazy Kate with toilet paper rolls, a shoebox, and two knitting needles (I knew those 14" needles would come in handy someday!) and turned two singles into a two-ply skein. Then I skeined it around my elbow and thumb joint (note to self - need niddy-noddy), tied loosely and gave it a bath with a little Eucalan.

Magic! The yarn bloomed and relaxed as soon as the Eucalan hit the water. After soaking a bit and squeezing out the water, I gave it a few "whipcracks" before hanging it to dry on a plastic hanger, with a second hanger as weight. Not bad! It really doesn't seem so overspun now. When hanging loose, the skein has a 90 degree twist from top to bottom. In the places where both plys are tight enough for me to see the fibers, the individual fibers appear to run mostly parallel to the yarn. This is good, right?

Here are two photos of my first yarn baby:


There are several sections in there, some a couple inches long (!) that look like real yarn! Both plys the same size, with nice even twisting. Of course there are more sections that look like unspun roving wrapped with string that we won't mention. The color is actually closer to the picture on top - its a very creamy off-white, almost slightly yellow.

Woot! I made yarn!

2 Comments:

Blogger DeltaDawn said...

Woot indeed! Congrats and you know you're in trouble now, right? It only gets to be more fun as you get better!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm in BIG trouble. I've got almost 5 ounces of pencil roving waiting for me at home and an enabler hubby. I asked for a Kundert spindle for my birthday, and he keeps asking if it wouldn't be more efficient to get a wheel. Umm, yeah, but shouldn't we buy the groceries first?

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home