Sunday, January 13, 2008

Halfway through January

Sigh. It's really gray and rainy here. Or is it grey and rainy? I can never remember the right spelling for that color (but not colour - I know my GPS coordinates).

Last week I got an oh-so-wonderful three day all-expenses trip to Boca Raton, Florida! Woot! The weather was perfect - 80F and sunny every day. All I had to do was spend from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. with some coworkers and some potential business partners. Which would have been great if one of them was not a chain-smoker. In the office. And IN THE LAB! Nothing like watching someone light up a smoke a few feet from a 5 gal drum of methanol. Eep! I have never had to use my inhaler 3 times in 24 hours before now. A new experience for me.

The "late" starting time each morning meant I got to go out for a jog (to the beach! In shorts and a t-shirt!) Weds and Thurs, which is a real treat. Just the temperature was a treat. I never jog to the ocean from my house - it's a few hundred miles. Even Lake Erie is a bit past my current fitness level I think, although I may work on that this spring and summer. And meals were al-fresco, which kept the concentration of smoke to a minimum. And I ate a lot of seafood, which I love. Is it still health food if it is battered and fried?

The three hour flight meant a little quality Knitting time of course - just right for a Cascade Fixation ankle sock:
Cascade Fixation sock

You can get a pair of these out of one skein, which I think was about $6 (can't remember). I used US3 needles, and 40 sts/round. Speedy knit. The thing is - I don't really like the way this sock looks on my foot or feels. I may not make the second one.

After arriving home, I finished my Northern Lights Mittens. My first real Fair Isle project. The picture below is post-blocking - my gauge loosened up considerably as I got used to the two handed knitting technique. They fit well in the wrists, thumbs, and lower hand, but have way too much free space up at top. I don't know if that is just the way I knit them, or the way they were designed. Probably just me.

Northern Lights - close up
Northern Lights - complete

As you might expect, the pattern uses up lots more Bark and Blue yarn than red, peach, orange, apricot, or pool. Here's what I had left of each ball: bark - 33 g; blue - 30 g; red - 46 g; peach - 47 g; orange - 46 g, apricot - 48 g; and pool - 41 g. So, there is enough yarn in the initial purchase (7 balls of Palette) to make two complete pairs of Northern Lights, and then (350 - 2x60 = 230 g) = 3 pairs more pairs in random color patterns + 50 g left over. That's a lot of mittens for $14! I think I will make more mittens, but probably just in two colors to practice the technique. Charity knitting perhaps? (I really don't need 5 new pairs of mittens).

No (intentional) pattern mods here. I used US2 needles to get gauge of 10 sts/inch; started 11/24/2007 and finished 1/12/2008.

Which brings me to this: empty needles. And no real jones to make anything yet. I'm toying with some stash-busting projects - a booga bag to use up the Kureyon from last year's vest, a couple lace scarves to use up all though single skeins of laceweight I bought a couple of years ago. This afternoon I had a sudden brainstorm that I should design and knit a Valentine's day sweater for my daughter as a surprise. Because, you know, I like stressful deadlines. That's probably what I'll do. Because, you know, I'm kind of dumb that way.

See you later!

3 Comments:

Blogger Faerynuff said...

They are beautiful :)

Has smoking not been banned in buildings in the States yet? Smoking is not allowed in any public building, workplace and vehicle (like taxi's)in the UK.

9:12 AM  
Blogger prairiegirl said...

Wow! Those are beautiful!!!!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Wow, those mittens are gorgeous.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home