Sunday, December 30, 2007

2007 year in review

Hmmm. Only 36 hours left in 2007, give or take a few. So, what have I accomplished?

1. Painted living room and dining room, hung drapes and made valence in living room. Poor choice of paint color.

2. New landscaping in front of house (woo hoo! It makes our house look twice as big now that it's not hiding behind overgrown shaggy trees.)

3. Survived first full year in new job.

4. Learned how to change a tire. In dress clothes. In a drizzling rain. Sigh.

5. Completed 12 knitting projects, or an average of one per month. There is only one scarf that did not get a blog entry - it is ummmm, novel. As in novelty yarn novel. Sparkly!
In reverse order:
1. Grey mini-mock cable dress socks - simple, understated. KnitPicks Essentials yarn.
2. Tumbling shells socks - designed for my SockSwap pal in CTH supersock, one of my favorite superwash yarns.
3. Kureyon deep-V vest - designed by me for me - form fitting and fully steeked! My first steeked project.
4. Jitterbug Castagna socks - basic feather and fan socks in Colinette Jitterbug yarn.
5. Audrey's summer sweater - a basic cotton tee with a braid at the bottom
6. Follow the leader shawl - Faroese shaped shawl in Jagger wool-silk lace yarn
7. Jaywalker socks - 'cause everybody needs a pair of these comfy socks! In Brown Sheep Wildfoote.
8. Coronet - a gift of Malabrigo from my first Secret Pal was waiting for a perfect hat pattern. I love it!
9. Scarborough - an adaptation of AS's pattern for my daughter
10. Minimalist cardigan - in KnitPicks Andean Silk. Loosely constructed, yet dressy enough for work.
11. Love-in-Idleness socks - my first socks with the much-coveted STR yarn.

On the needles: well, right this moment nothing. But I still have one of the Northern Lights Mittens to cast on. After that, who knows? I'm thinking of maybe some lace, and more socks of course. I don't have any big projects in mind right now. And I would like to clear out some of my stash.

I leave you with - Cincinnati Chili

I made a crockpot of this for dinner tonight, and I was thinking "this is one of my favorite recipes" . Nothing gourmet, but oh is it good. And not terrible for you either, like some of my other favorite foods (fried cheese curds and fry-bread come to mind).

1 - 1.5 lbs of ground beef
small onion, chopped

Brown the beef and onion together in a skillet, drain the grease.
Add to a crockpot with:

29 oz. tomato sauce
15 oz. chopped or diced canned tomatoes
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1.5 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 clove garlic (whole)
3 bay leaves
1 square (1 oz) unsweetened Baker's chocolate

Simmer in the crockpot on "low" for ~5 hours (set up after lunch to eat at dinner).
Serve over spaghetti with shredded cheddar cheese.

I can eat this year-round, but it especially good in the Fall and Winter. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home